To create a new product:
- Log into your ‘Administration Panel’ (Dashboard).
- Select the ‘Products’ tab.
- Click on the ‘Add New’ sub-tab.
- Start filling in the blanks: enter a title for your product in the upper field, and enter a description along with a gallery of images in the main post editing box below it.
- Scroll down the page to the ‘Product Meta Details’ box and complete the fields as required.
- Complete the details in the ‘Yoast SEO’ box as required.
- Select the ‘Product Galleries’ that this product will appear in.
- Add a ‘Featured Image’.
- Once finished click the ‘Save Draft’.
- Click the ‘Preview’ button to check how the product will look on your site without making it live.
- Once you are happy with the products content, click on the ‘Publish’ button to make the product live on your site.
Descriptions of WIC Product Fields
The title of your post. You can use any phrases, words or characters. Avoid using the same title twice as that will cause problems. You can use commas, apostrophes, quotes, hyphens/dashes and other typical symbols in the post like “My Site – Here’s Lookin’ at You, Kid”. WordPress will then clean it up to generate a user-friendly and URL-valid name of the post (also called the “post slug”) to compose the permalink for the post.
Body Copy Box
This is where you add a description and a gallery of images for the product. It is a good idea to try and add as much information about the product as this will enable the search engines to index the page more easily allowing people to find you more easily. You can use the information provided in the Yoast SEO box to tailor your text to ensure the best format for people searching for your product.
Product images should be added using a gallery as this will layout the images correctly on the page, resizing them to be all of a similar size. It also provides access to the pop-up tools to display a larger version of the image when the visitor clicks on a product image. Once a gallery has been added it can be edited to change the settings or to add or remove images from them. You can also delete the gallery and start again if you need to. Details on adding and editing galleries is available in the Media Centre section of the Knowledgebase.
Product Meta Details
SKU Field (optional)
If you have your own product codes that you use to identify the products in your catalogue, then you can add the code here which will display the code on the products page of your website.
Sale Item Checkbox (optional)
When checked this places a number of Sale decorations onto the product images and the product page.
The main material used in the production of the product e.g. for a prom dress this could be polyester, or lace, or jersey, etc.
A comma separated list of colours the product is available in.
Video URL (optional)
Where a video exists for this product then this would be the URL for the video on Youtube or Vimeo.
Example 1: Adding a Youtube video:
- Locate the video on the Youtube website.
- Click on the Share link below the video title.
- Select the Embed tab.
- You can ignore most of the code that appears as you are only interested in the part that starts after the ‘src=”‘, e.g. in the embed code ‘<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/G2rrTunWo60” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>’, you only need the part that is highlighted.
- Select this part of the text and copy and paste this into the ‘Video URL’ field on your product, e.g. using the above example this would result in the ‘Video URL’ field containing: https://www.youtube.com/embed/G2rrTunWo60.
Example 2: Adding a Vimeo video:
- Locate the video on the Vimeo website.
- Click the share icon in the top right of the video.
- From the pop-up that appears, select all of the code from the Embed field (in some browsers you have to select the complete code not just the URL).
- Copy and paste this into the ‘Video URL’ field on the product page then remove all but the URL so you are left with the same as in the Youtube example above, i.e. the completed field should look something like this: https://player.vimeo.com/video/167414855.
The cost field allows you to display a price on the product if you decide to show this on the page. Sometimes you may wish for the price to be displayed when the item is on sale. When a price is displayed on a sale page then additional backgrounds will appear on the page identifying this as a sale price (depending upon the theme used).
The featured image is used in product galleries to identify the product. As this is the main way that the product is being advertised you should use an image that best shows off the product among all the other products.
To add a featured image click the ‘Set featured image’ link which will open the Media Centre where you can select an image that has already been uploaded, or upload a new image to use. Details on selecting and changing Featured Images can be found in the Media Centre section of the Knowledgebase.